For trash and recycling collection issues please call E.L. Harvey:
WINTER STORM SERVICE INTERRUPTION
E. L. Harvey will not pick trash and recycle on Monday, 13-Feb.
Pickup will be on a “holiday” schedule: Monday’s trash/recycle on Tuesday, etc.
Regular Trash – Trash is collected every week
In order to be collected, every bag or barrel (up to 32 gallons or 75 lbs.) of trash set out for trash collection must have a sticker(s) on the bag or on the top item in the barrel.
There are two choices in stickers depending on the volume/weight set out:
- Bags or barrels up to 15 gal./38 lbs. require a PINK sticker – cost $1.00.
- Bags or barrels up to 32 gal./75 lbs. require a YELLOW sticker – cost $2.00 (or 2 PINK stickers)
Hint: Use the correct sticker and buy them ahead of time (you need them weekly).
Stickers can be purchased at: Bud’s Variety, 180 Main Street Corner Store, 49 Walnut St. Tedeschi Food Shop, 5 Waltham St. Aubuchon Hardware, 51 Main Street Russell’s Convenience, 193 Main St.
The street schedule, including holidays and recycling details is available in the Curbside Collection Calendar from the Resources section below.
- The Department of Public Works strictly enforces the 32-gallon barrel rule. Trash left at the curb in barrels larger than 32 gallons will not be picked up. If a 32-gallon barrel is used to consolidate loose remodeling debris, it can not weigh more than 75lbs.
- $10.00 of Stickers: Futon w/mattress, mattress with box spring, Sofa 4”, Wooden Table, Dresser (each weighing less than 38 lbs). NOTE: Each piece requires $10 worth of stickers. For example a mattress with box spring would require $20 of stickers.
- $2.00 of Stickers: Porcelain toilet, Mirror w/no frames, rolled and tied carpet (4’ feet long & less than 38 lbs.) Wooden kitchen chair, arm chair (less than 75 lbs.) NOTE: Each piece requires $2 worth of stickers.
- 32 gallon barrels of trash, must be filled only to the level where a cover if applied would fit. Over filled barrels will be left at curbside. Put sticker tag on top item in barrel.
- Do not place sticker tag on barrel.
- In cold weather sticker tags don’t stick well to cold bags, so, stick the sticker tag to a warm bag, or to itself wrapped around drawstring or bag neck.
Whenever a scheduled collection day falls on a holiday, that day’s collection and all remaining collections for the week will be delayed one day (e.g., Friday’s collections will be on Saturday). Download the Curbside Collection Calendar in the Resources section below for specific holidays and recycling collection.
Recycling – Your recyclables are collected every other week
- All containers should be clean.
- Remove and discard caps and rings from all containers
- Set bins out by 7:00 am, clearly separated from trash.
- Bins containing improper materials will be left behind
Download the Curbside Collection Calendar in the Resources section below for specific holidays and recycling collection
The DPW periodically opens a Recycling Drop Off Center. Check schedule for dates/times and what can be dropped off.
We have two Yard Waste (leaves and clippings) pickups per year.
The spring seasonal curb side waste pickups was held in May.
The fall seasonal curb side yard waste pickups will be held October 17, 2016 – October 21, 2016 and November 14, 2016 – November 18, 2016.
Place leaves, grass, wood chips and all other easily raked material in paper yard waste bags at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your normal trash collection day during these weeks. Brush (3 feet x 3 feet or smaller) must be bundled in the appropriate size and no more than 35 pounds.
Brush Chipping will be done on October 8, 2016. Fee is $10.00 per car load.
Fluorescent bulbs (tubes, compact fluorescent bulbs) contain mercury and should be disposed of properly. You can bring your smaller bulbs to Town Hall. Larger tubes should be brought to the Recycling Drop Off Center (check schedule here).
Sharps can be dropped off in puncture-free containers at the kiosk currently located in the front of the Police Station (197 Main Street).
Both permanent and temporary (30 days or less) dumpsters require a permit from the Board of Health. You can apply for the permit online.
Our “How Can I Get Rid Of …?” page has lots of specific examples for reusing items that you may no longer need. The following organizations may also be helpful in reusing various items.
- Salvation Army – Kevin Maguire, email@example.com, 508-799-0528 x 307
- Goodwill – Bill LaBelle, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-541-1415
- Habitat for Humanity Leominster – restorencm.org
- Habitat for Humanity Worcester – www.habitatmwgw.org/restore
- The Wish Project – www.thewishproject.org, 978-441-9474
- Kiducation Community Crusade for Children – Alex Blake, email@example.com, 978-248-9813
- Planet Aid – ACurrin@planetaid.org, 508-893-0644
- Homegoods (in Acton) – firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-635-1710×6
- Savers – 888-322-8209
- Download the 2015-2017 Curbside Collection Calendar (UPDATED: 17-Nov-2016)
- How Can I Get Rid Of …. ???
- Dumpster Permit Application (using our online permitting portal)