For trash and recycling collection issues please call E.L. Harvey:
Regular Trash – Trash is collected every week
In order to be collected, every bag or barrel (up to 32 gallons or 75 lbs.) of trash set out for trash collection must have a sticker(s) on the bag or on the top item in the barrel.
There are two choices in stickers depending on the volume/weight set out:
- Bags or barrels up to 15 gal./38 lbs. require a PINK sticker – cost $1.00.
- Bags or barrels up to 32 gal./75 lbs. require a YELLOW sticker – cost $2.00 (or 2 PINK stickers)
Hint: Use the correct sticker and buy them ahead of time (you need them weekly).
Stickers can be purchased at: Bud’s Variety, 180 Main Street; Corner Store, 49 Walnut St.; Tedeschi Food Shop, 5 Waltham St.; Aubuchon Hardware, 51 Main Street; Russell’s Convenience, 193 Main St.
The street schedule, including holidays and recycling details is available in the Curbside Collection Calendar from the Resources section below.
Whenever a scheduled collection day falls on a holiday, that day’s collection and all remaining collections for the week will be delayed one day (e.g., Friday’s collections will be on Saturday). Download the Curbside Collection Calendar in the Resources section below for specific holidays and recycling collection.
Recycling – Your recyclables are collected every other week
- All containers should be clean.
- Remove and discard caps and rings from all containers
- Separate paper from all other items
- Set bins out by 7:00 am, clearly separated from trash.
- Bins containing improper materials will be left behind
Download the Curbside Collection Calendar in the Resources section below for specific holidays and recycling collection
The DPW periodically opens a Recycling Drop Off Center. Check schedule for dates/times and what can be dropped off.
We have two Yard Waste (leaves and clippings) pickups per year.
The spring seasonal curb side waste pickups will be held the week of May 5-9, 2014.
The fall seasonal curb side yard waste pickups will be held the week of October 13-17, 2014 and November 10-14, 2014.
Place leaves, grass, wood chips and all other easily raked material in paper yard waste bags at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your normal trash collection day during these weeks. Brush (3 feet x 3 feet or smaller) must be bundled in the appropriate size and no more than 35 pounds.
Fluorescent bulbs (tubes, compact fluorescent bulbs) contain mercury and should be disposed of properly. You can drop off bulbs at Aubuchon Hardware on 51 Main Street.
Sharps can be dropped off in puncture-free containers at the kiosk currently located at the upper level lobby in Town Hall.
Both permanent and temporary (30 days or less) dumpsters require a permit from the Board of Health. Please download the application form from the Resources section.
Our “How Can I Get Rid Of …?” page has lots of specific examples for reusing items that you may no longer need. The following organizations may also be helpful in reusing various items.
- Salvation Army – Kevin Maguire, firstname.lastname@example.org, 508-799-0528 x 307
- Goodwill – Bill LaBelle, email@example.com, 617-541-1415
- Habitat for Humanity Leominster – restorencm.org
- Habitat for Humanity Worcester – www.habitatmwgw.org/restore
- The Wish Project – www.thewishproject.org, 978-441-9474
- Kiducation Community Crusade for Children – Alex Blake, firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-248-9813
- Planet Aid – ACurrin@planetaid.org, 508-893-0644
- HGRM in Acton – email@example.com, 978-635-1710×6
- Savers – 888-322-8209