|Contact:||Angela M Marrama, MAA|
Marianne S. Harrold
|Address:||195 Main Street|
Maynard, MA 01754
|Hours:||Mon, Wed, Thu: 8am to 4pm|
Board of Assessors
Board of Assessors Meetings
- Upcoming on Apr 3, 6:30pm, Town Hall: Agenda
The Assessors are required to assess all Real and Personal Property within the confines of the Town, at full, fair cash value. The analysis of market trends, assessment levels and uniformity of all properties to achieve full and fair cash value of assessments is done every year. This work is carried out in accordance with the requirements of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 40 Sec 56 and Chapter 58 Sec 1, 1A and 3. In addition, the Assessing Department must administer annually, the processing of motor vehicle excise tax abatements, grant exemption applications, chapter land application, form of list and be the prime source of information regarding title and valuation of the 4,000 plus parcels of Real and Personal Property accounts for the Town.
We are committed to keeping our values current and our records accurate along with providing timely and courteous service to all the citizens of Maynard. The main programs which the Assessing Department is engaged in yearly are:
- Valuation of Residential Properties
- Valuation of Commercial/Industrial Properties
- Sales Ratio Study
- Income & Expense Study
- Personal Property Valuation
- Abatements – Real and Personal Property and Motor Vehicle
- Permits/Cyclical Inspections
- Excise Tax Program
- Chapter Land Program
- Tax exemption Programs
- Special Taxation Programs
Property Information Lookup
You can view Assessor records online by visiting the Property Lookup Service
You can also look up property and map information using GIS linked to the assessing data.
Additional resources: Middlesex South Registry of Deeds
2018 Maynard Assessors Application Filing Deadlines
The Maynard Assessor’s office wishes to remind taxpayers of the following deadlines for Fiscal Year 2018:
- The deadline for filing abatements on Real and Personal Property taxes is Thursday, February 1, 2018 by 4:00pm
- Taxpayers that wish to apply for tax exemptions under Clause 17 Widowers/Elderly, Clause 22 Veterans, Clause 37 Blind, and Clause 41 Elderly have until Monday, April 2, 2018 by 4:00pm to file their applications. If you are filing for the first time, it is recommended that you contact the office in advance of the deadline so that all necessary documentation if filed with your application in a timely manner.
- Charitable organizations are reminded to file their 3ABC Forms by Thursday, March 1, 2018.
- The deadline for filing the Form of List for Personal Property subject to taxation in the in the Town of Maynard is Thursday, March 1, 2018.
All of the mentioned forms are available in the Assessor’s Office. As always the Assessor’s office is available if you have any questions or need more information.
Property Assessments for Fiscal Year 2018
The Assessing Department has completed its Interim Revaluation for Fiscal Year 2018 of all taxable property in the Town of Maynard as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Your total value for FY18 was determined after a complete market and cost analysis and is representative of full and fair cash value as of January 1, 2017. Certification from the Department of Revenue was received on December 5, 2017.
Fiscal Year 2018 Tax Rates:
- Residential $22.64 per 1,000 of value
- Commercial $31.10 per 1,000 of value
A key provision of Prop 2 ½ is that inflation cannot add revenue and can only reduce the tax rate. The result is that as the value of property increases, the tax rate must drop. Conversely, if the values go down, the tax rate goes up. Inflation or deflation in value is revenue neutral.
The assessors do not determine or modify the total tax to be collected. The assessors do distribute the tax burden equitable. The process is continuous. Once the values are certified by the Department of Revenue, the assessors set the tax rate by dividing the levy (amount to be taxed based on the approved budget) by the total taxable value.
It is the mission of the Assessing Department to establish and maintain the full valuation of all real and personal property in the Town of Maynard. We pledge to deliver excellent service to the community and to assess and apportion valuation equitable and fairly throughout the town. “We are the Guardians of Fairness”