Joseph and Mary Reed opened the Maynard Public Library in 1881, with a whopping sum (for the time) of $1,000 with which to buy books. Originally, the library was housed in a room of the Acton Street School, today known as Jarmo’s Auto Repair. This location endured for four years before the library relocated to Riverside Cooperative Hall (now the Knights of Columbus Hall). In July of 1918, the library moved again, this time to the second floor of the Naylor Building on Nason Street.
The town did not construct a permanent building for the library until 1960. That year, a Special Town Meeting called for the construction of a combined Town Building and Library. $329,000 were appropriated for the job. Nearly 10,000 books were moved out of the Naylor Building using empty liquor cartons. High school volunteers carried the books out, drove them to the new library, and loaded them onto the shelves. The new Town Building and Library opened on July 25, 1962.
Interestingly enough, the library’s present-day home was the result of a historic preservation project, converting the Roosevelt School into the new Maynard Public Library. This project cost $5.7 million, $2.1 million of which came from a generous Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners grant. The “new” library opened on July 17, 2006 at 77 Nason Street, where it has remained ever since. Its reference floor is home to the non-circulating Local History Collection, which contains books, reports, yearbooks, newsletters, and more.