Colonial Hall was once to Maynard what the Rod and Gun Club or the Elks Lodge now is today: a gathering place for all of Maynard to be merry and social. Everything from school dances to vehement political rallies took place in this hall; highlights include the Knights of Columbus’ Fourth Anniversary Banquet in 1924 and the Ladies Aid of the Methodist Episcopal Church’s production of The HMS Pinafore – “a nautical comic opera” – in 1930. Later, it became one of many Strand Theaters – like the one in Clinton, MA today. The Strand survived until the building was purchased by the F.W. Woolworth Company, who operated a store there throughout the 1970s.