Better known as the old Neighborhood Brick Oven Pizza, the Fowler Block was built in 1917, shortly after the Naylor Block – which formerly stood here – was destroyed by fire. Before it became a hub for school kids to share a pie with their friends, the Fowler Block was the site of the Maynard telephone exchange. Preceding the invention of cell phones, telephone calls had to be connected by operators, who manually put two callers in touch by rearranging wires on a switchboard. These operators worked at telephone exchanges such as this one here in Maynard, which closed in 1955. At present, the Fowler Block is vacant, but knowing what they say about Maynard, surely something one-of-a-kind will fill the space.