Welcome to the homepage of Maynard’s Planning Division. We are working hard to keep Maynard a community where you can enjoy the very best of New England town living while still enjoying an easy Metropolitan connection!
Maynard is committed to planning for a future that will keep Maynard a premier community for today, for tomorrow and for a lifetime.
|Address:||195 Main Street
Maynard, MA 01754
|Hours:||Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8am to 4pm
Tuesdays: 8am to 7pm
|Planning Director:||Bill Nemser, AICP, LEED AP
|Assistant Town Planner:||Julia Flanary
Submitting Planning Board or
Zoning Board of Appeals Applications
- Information on preparing applications contained here.
- Links to all applications are contained at the bottom of this page.
- Abutter’s mailing lists can be requested online from the Property Assessor and can be delivered internally from the assessor to the Office of Municipal Services. Mailing lists are part of required application materials.
- All payments must be made by check to “Town of Maynard”.
- Applications, including all materials and fees (other than emailed applications) can be submitted:
- In person to the OMS at Town Hall during normal business hours.
- Via surface mail to OMS, 195 Main Street, Maynard, MA. 01754.
- Via email to OMS@townofmaynard.net. Note: fees for applications submitted electronically, must be received before an item is scheduled for a Board meeting.
- Applications will not be considered officially submitted until deemed “complete” by the OMS staff. If deemed complete, applications will be date-stamped by the Clerk and the applicants notified of hearing/meeting date by OMS staff. If incomplete, applicants will be contacted by OMS staff and provided with any necessary guidance on preparation of a re-submittal package. Materials submitted after 2PM, Monday thru Thursday or after 10AM Friday, will not be processed for completeness until the next business day at the earliest.
For further questions please contact: OMS@townofmaynard.net
About the Planning Board and Planning Division
The Planning Board both enforces and submits revisions of the Maynard Zoning By-Laws to Town Meeting for approval. The Planning Division of the Office of Municipal Services is here to assist you in viewing records, submitting applications, obtaining information, or scheduling an appointment. All necessary Planning Board forms are available at the office and the Town Clerk (Hearing application forms are in the Forms section below.)
Zoning Board of Appeals
The Planning Division also supports the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA).
Planning Board Meetings and Hearings
The Planning Board meets on a regular basis on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at the Town Hall. We encourage citizens of the town to to attend our meetings and public hearings. The input from citizens is recognized and greatly appreciated.
Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines
Applications for Preliminary Subdivisions and Approval Not Required (ANRs) are due two weeks prior to a regularly scheduled meeting; based on Agenda availability. Please file applications for Special Permits, Site Plan Review, and Definitive Subdivision approvals in the Planning Office according to the following timelines (click to expand):
|Zoning Board||Planning Board||Time||Application Deadline|
|–||January 11, 2022||7:00 PM||December 14, 2021|
|January 24, 2022||–||7:00 PM||December 27, 2021|
|–||January 25, 2022||7:00 PM||December 28, 2021|
|–||February 8, 2022||7:00 PM||January 11, 2022|
|–||February 22, 2022||7:00 PM||January 25, 2022|
|February 28, 2022||–||7:00 PM||January 31, 2022|
|–||March 8, 2022||7:00 PM||February 8, 2022|
|–||March 22, 2022||7:00 PM||February 22, 2022|
|March 28, 2022||–||7:00 PM||February 28, 2022|
|–||April 12, 2022||7:00 PM||March 15, 2022|
|April 25, 2022||–||7:00 PM||March 28, 2022|
|–||April 26, 2022||7:00 PM||March 29, 2022|
|–||May 10, 2022||7:00 PM||April 12, 2022|
|May 23, 2022||–||7:00 PM||April 25, 2022|
|–||May 24, 2022||7:00 PM||April 26, 2022|
|–||June 14, 2022||7:00 PM||May 17, 2022|
|June 27, 2022||–||7:00 PM||May 27, 2022|
|–||June 28, 2022||7:00 PM||May 31, 2022|
|–||July 12, 2022||7:00 PM||June 14, 2022|
|July 25, 2022||–||7:00 PM||June 27, 2022|
|–||July 26, 2022||7:00 PM||June 28, 2022|
|–||August 9, 2022||7:00 PM||July 13, 2022|
|August 22, 2022||–||7:00 PM||July 25, 2022|
|–||August 23, 2022||7:00 PM||July 26, 2022|
|–||September 13, 2022||7:00 PM||August 17, 2022|
|September 26, 2022||–||7:00 PM||August 29, 2022|
|–||September 27, 2022||7:00 PM||August 30, 2022|
|–||October 11, 2022||7:00 PM||September 13, 2022|
|October 24, 2022||–||7:00 PM||September 26, 2022|
|–||October 25, 2022||7:00 PM||September 27, 2022|
|–||November 8, 2022||7:00 PM||October 12, 2022|
|–||November 22, 2022||7:00 PM||October 25, 2022|
|November 14, 2022||–||7:00 PM||October 31, 2022|
|–||December 13, 2022||7:00 PM||November 15, 2022|
|December 19, 2022**||–||7:00 PM||November 21, 2022|
|–||December 27, 2022||7:00 PM||November 29, 2022|
- Planning Board meets twice a month.
- All dates subject to change.
- All meetings at Town Hall unless otherwise noted.
- All items required for a complete application must be submitted by 12:00 PM on the deadline day (10:00 AM on a Friday). No exceptions.
- Listed date represents the soonest an application may be heard by the Planning Board. Please note: submitting by the listed deadline date may not secure a place on the desired agenda. Agenda length or other circumstances may affect placement. All applications are reviewed on a first submittal basis and will be reviewed within the statutory time requirements.
- Any revised plans or additional submittals must be submitted to the OMS Office and peer reviewer 10 days prior to a scheduled meeting.
** This Zoning Board date has been moved up a week due to holiday schedules.
Planning Board Members
A master plan is a comprehensive long range plan intended to guide growth and development of a community. A key intent of the document is to ensure decision-making considers both the long-term effects of an action and is consistent with an over-all vision created by the community. It provides a foundation that can help protect a community from reactionary actions. The Maynard Master Plan was adopted by the Planning Board, endorsed by the Select Board in 2020 and accepted by the voters at the Town Meeting of October 3, 2020. For more information on the Master Plan, please click here.
Planning, Zoning, Rock and Rolling Radio Show
Who said planning and zoning has to be bureaucratic, monochromatic, asthmatic, systematic, autocratic or dull? Well it isn’t…at least for one hour!
Join Maynard Planning Director Bill Nemser as he fills you in on all the latest planning related news, discusses place-making trends in the Metrowest Region and presents an assortment of exciting guests all the while weaving it all into an eclectic musical tapestry of hits, misses and classics from all genres! And best of all, the infamous “Think You Know Maynard?” trivia game!
Season SIX can be heard monthly on the 4th Tuesday at 4pm on WAVM 91.7FM or online at http://wavm.org/listen-live/
Missed an episode? Don’t worry… Check out our archive at WAVM.
Forms and Fees
- Preparing a Successful Application for the Planning Board (READ THIS FIRST!)
- Planning Board / ZBA Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines (2022)
- Zoning Board of Appeals Hearing Application (2021)
- Planning Board Schedule of Fees
- Planning Board Site Plan Application
- Planning Board Special Permit Application
- Planning Board Sign Special Permit Application
- Planning Board Subdivision Planning Forms
- Form A: Application for Endorsement of Plan Believed Not to Require Approval
- Form B: Application for Approval of a Preliminary Plan
- Form C: Application for Approval of Definitive Plan
- Form D: Designer’s Certificate
- Form E: Certified List of Abutters
- Form F: Performance Bond Surety Company
- Form G: Performance Bond Secured by Deposit
- Form H: Performance Bond Secured by Bank Passbook
- Form I: Sample Covenant
- Form J: Release Form
- Form K: Conveyance of Easements and Utilities
- Maynard Business Guide
- Community Development Principles
- Master Plan
- Chapter 40B Subsidized Housing Inventory (from Department of Housing and Community Development, April 2020)
- Naylor Court Technical Assistance Panel
- Maynard Downtown Parking Analysis (by MAPC, Jan 2018, pdf, 12MB)
- Town of Maynard Protective Zoning By-Laws
- Subdivision of Land – Rules and Regulations (revised 2007)
- Town of Maynard Zoning Map (revised 2018)
- Downtown Overlay Zoning District Map (2007)
- Water Supply Protection District Map (2017)
- Planning Board Rules and Regulations including Site Plan Review Standards (revised 2021)
- Planning Board Landscape Regulations (2015)
- Low-Impact Development (LID) Fact Sheet (2022)
- 495/MetroWest Development Compact Plan (2012)
- Acton-Maynard Powder Mill Road Corridor Plan (Jul 2022)
- Guide to Historic Preservation in Maynard (2016)
- Marijuana Commerce Information
- Maynard Property Lookup Service
- American Planning Association
- Massachusetts Chapter of the American Planning Association
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Minuteman Advisory Group on Interlocal Coordination (MAGIC)
- Massachusetts Land Records
- Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development
- National Complete Streets Coalition
- U.S. Green Building Council
These are documents from past Planning Board engagements.
Special Town Meeting - Oct 2011
Documents related to Special Town Meeting held 26-Oct-2011:
- DRAFT Preliminary Traffic Assessment of Clock Tower Place Rezoning
- DRAFT Public School Impact Estimate – Clock Tower Place
- Proposed changes to Article 3 (19-Oct Draft)
- DRAFT Development Agreement with Clock Tower Place (rev 3, 18-Oct)
- Preliminary Traffic Assessment of Clock Tower Place Rezoning (19-Oct)
- Clock Tower Place Agreement – Exhibit B (20-Oct)
- Clock Tower Place Financial Impact Analysis (24-Oct)
- DRAFT Development Agreement with Clock Tower Place (rev 4, 23-Oct)
- Article Changes (23-Oct)
- Clock Tower Table A (9-Sep-2011)
- Zoning Article Draft for Oct 26th Special Town Meeting (9-Sep-2011)
Projects and Programs
- The Shoppes at Maynard Crossing (129 Parker Street) Project
- Assabet River Rail Trail
- Business Environment Enhancement Program (BEEP)
- Housing Production Plan
- Marijuana Commerce Information
- Mill & Main Project (former Clock Tower Place, aka The Mill)
- Naylor Court (“Basin”) Technical Assistance Panel
- Powder Mill Road Corridor Study
- Veterans Memorial Park Redesign