Welcome to the homepage of Maynard’s Planning Division. We are working hard to keep Maynard a community where you can enjoy the very best of New England town living while still enjoying an easy Metropolitan connection!
Maynard is committed to planning for a future that will keep Maynard a premier community for today, for tomorrow and for a lifetime.
To learn more about the “ Maynard Advantage” contact Town Planner Bill Nemser.
The Maynard Advantage video was produced by WAVM (Maynard High School).
|Address:||195 Main Street
Maynard, MA 01754
|Hours:||Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8am to 4pm
Tuesdays: 8am to 7pm
|Town Planner:||Bill Nemser, AICP, LEED AP|
About the Planning Board and Planning Division
The Planning Board both enforces and submits revisions of the Maynard Zoning By-Laws to Town Meeting for approval. The Planning Division of the Office of Municipal Services is here to assist you in viewing records, submitting applications, obtaining information, or scheduling an appointment. All necessary Planning Board forms are available at the office and the Town Clerk (Hearing application forms are in the Forms section below.)
Zoning Board of Appeals
The Planning Division also supports the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA).
Planning Board Meetings and Hearings
The Planning Board meets on a regular basis on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at the Town Hall. We encourage citizens of the town to to attend our meetings and public hearings. The input from citizens is recognized and greatly appreciated.
Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines
Applications for Preliminary Subdivisions and Approval Not Required (ANRs) are due two week’s prior to a regularly scheduled meeting; based on Agenda availability. Please file applications for Special Permits, Site Plan Review, and Definitive Subdivision approvals in the Planning Office according to the following timelines.
View the 2016 Schedule and Deadlines
Here is the Planning Board Hearing Schedule for 2016. Please note that:
- All dates subject to change.
- All items required for a complete application must be submitted by 3:00 p.m. on the deadline day. No exceptions.
- An incomplete application will not be scheduled for a hearing.
- The timeline below represents the soonest an application may be heard by the Planning Board. Depending on the number of applications, submitting by the deadline may not secure a place on the desired agenda. Please note that all applications are reviewed on a first submittal basis and all applications will be reviewed within the statutory time requirements.
- Any revised plans or additional submittals must be submitted to the Planning Office and peer reviewer 10 days prior to a scheduled meeting.
|Meeting Date||Time||Location||Application Deadline|
|January 12, 2016||7pm||Town Hall|
|January 26, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||December 22, 2015|
|February 9, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||January 5, 2016|
|February 23, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||January 19, 2016|
|March 8, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||February 2, 2016|
|March 22, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||February 16, 2016|
|April 12, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||March 8, 2016|
|April 26, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||March 22, 2016|
|May 10, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||April 5, 2016|
|May 24, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||April 19, 2016|
|June 14, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||May 3, 2016|
|June 28, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||May 17, 2016|
|July 12, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||June 7, 2016|
|July 26, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||June 21, 2016|
|August 9, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||July 5, 2016|
|August 23, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||July 19, 2016|
|September 13, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||August 9, 2016|
|September 27, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||August 23, 2016|
|October 25, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||September 20, 2016|
|November 22, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||October 4, 2016|
|December 13, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||November 8, 2016|
|December 27, 2016||7pm||Town Hall||November 23, 2016|
A printable copy of this schedule can be found in the Forms and Fees section below.
Planning Board Members
|William J. Gosz||Member|
Planning, Zoning, Rock and Rolling Radio Show
Who said planning and zoning has to be bureaucratic, monochromatic, asthmatic, systematic, autocratic or dull? Well it isn’t…at least for one hour!
Join Maynard Town Planner Bill Nemser as he fills you in on all the latest planning related news, discusses place-making trends in the Metrowest Region and presents an assortment of exciting guests all the while weaving it all into an eclectic musical tapestry of hits, misses and classics from all genres! And best of all, the infamous “Think You Know Maynard?” trivia game!
Season Two of “Planning, Zoning, Rock and Rolling” wrapped up for the summer but no worries: Season Two episodes are archived at: https://www.youtube.com/user/WAVMproductions
Stay tuned for Season Three beginning this September!
Forms and Fees
- Planning Board Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines (2016)
- Zoning Board of Appeals Hearing Application
- Planning Board Schedule of Fees
- Planning Board Site Plan Application
- Planning Board Special Permit Application
- Planning Board Sign Special Permit Application
- Planning Board Subdivision Planning Forms
- Form A: Application for Endorsement of Plan Believed Not to Require Approval
- Form B: Application for Approval of a Preliminary Plan
- Form C: Application for Approval of Definitive Plan
- Form D: Designer’s Certificate
- Form E: Certified List of Abutters
- Form F: Performance Bond Surety Company
- Form G: Performance Bond Secured by Deposit
- Form H: Performance Bond Secured by Bank Passbook
- Form I: Sample Covenant
- Form J: Release Form
- Form K: Conveyance of Easements and Utilities
- Community Development Principles
- Town of Maynard Protective Zoning By-Laws (revised Jan 2016, AG approved Jun 2016)
- Town of Maynard Zoning Map (revised 2013)
- Downtown Overlay Zoning District Map (2007)
- Planning Board Rules and Regulations including Site Plan Review Standards (2016)
- Planning Board Landscape Regulations (2015)
- 495/MetroWest Development Compact Plan (2012)
- Guide to Historic Preservation in Maynard (2016)
- Maynard Property Lookup Service
- American Planning Association
- Massachusetts Chapter of the American Planning Association
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Minuteman Advisory Group on Interlocal Coordination (MAGIC)
- Massachusetts Land Records
- Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development
- National Complete Streets Coalition
- U.S. Green Building Council
These are documents from past Planning Board engagements.
Special Town Meeting - Oct 2011
Documents related to Special Town Meeting held 26-Oct-2011:
- DRAFT Preliminary Traffic Assessment of Clock Tower Place Rezoning
- DRAFT Public School Impact Estimate – Clock Tower Place
- Proposed changes to Article 3 (19-Oct Draft)
- DRAFT Development Agreement with Clock Tower Place (rev 3, 18-Oct)
- Preliminary Traffic Assessment of Clock Tower Place Rezoning (19-Oct)
- Clock Tower Place Agreement – Exhibit B (20-Oct)
- Clock Tower Place Financial Impact Analysis (24-Oct)
- DRAFT Development Agreement with Clock Tower Place (rev 4, 23-Oct)
- Article Changes (23-Oct)
- Clock Tower Table A (9-Sep-2011)
- Zoning Article Draft for Oct 26th Special Town Meeting (9-Sep-2011)