Opening a Restaurant

Before you commit to a location for your business, it is a good idea to ask a few questions:

Is the location suitable for your business?

Site-specific zoning information can be obtained from the Building Commissioner.  

Will I need Site Plan Review or a Special Permit? 

The Building Commissioner will advise you if Site Plan and/or Special Permit Approval is necessary for your project. Most projects without exterior improvements do not require Site Plan Approval.  

What permits/licenses/certificates will I need?

  • The Building Commissioner will determine what building/signage/ parking permits/special requirements are required for your project. See more information on Building Permits.  
  • A Business Certificate may be required. See Business Certificates.
  • Board of Health Permits are required for food establishments. See Board of Health Permits and Licenses.
  • The Select Board issues Common Victualers Licenses (if your restaurant has seating for diners on the premises), Liquor Licenses (if your restaurant plans to serve alcohol), and Outdoor Seating Permits (if your restaurant wants to have outdoor seating on a public property or sidewalk). See Select Board Licenses. 

Schedule a plan review with the Fire Department 

See Fire Department.

Further information

For further information call the Office of Municipal Services at 978-897-1302 or visit