Opening a Home-Based Business
What type of business can I operate from my home?
There are several types of Home Occupations/Businesses. Some are “as-of-right” (this means no special permission is required) and some require a Special Permit, which requires a public hearing.
Home Occupations/Businesses must not change the residential character of the premises and be incidental to its primary use as a residence. When business activity expands to a level that no longer conforms to the home occupation criteria or Special Permit, the homeowner will be required to find a commercial site. A Home Occupation can only be conducted by the resident occupant.
What is a Customary Home Occupation?
A “customary” home occupation (work of any lawful profession) is permitted in a dwelling located in any residential district and is allowed as-of-right. The Office of Municipal Services will help you determine if your business fits in this category. A good rule of thumb is that you will not be considered a customary home occupation if:
- Customers or clients come to the premise.
- There are employees (other than residents of the dwelling).
- Your business may cause disturbances to the surrounding neighborhood (noise, odors, traffic etc.).
What if I am not considered a Customary Home Occupation?
There are certain occupations/businesses that may be authorized by Special Permit:
- Hairdressing (use of a room in a dwelling for hairdressing).
- Certain Sales (the sale of gift novelties and antiques).
- Real Estate Office (the business cannot be associated with any other real estate office).
- Trade Shop (a resident of the premises may use the building in connection with their trade).
See Special Permits.
- A Home Family Day Care as allowed by the Zoning By-laws. Family Child Care programs are licensed by the MA Department of Early Education and Care. 617-988-6600.
- Adult Day Care as allowed by the Zoning By-laws. Adult Day Care is licensed by the MA Department of Public Health, Division of Health Care Facility Licensure and Certification 617-753-8000.
Contact the Fire Department
See Fire Department.
For further information call the Office of Municipal Services at 978-897-1302 or visit https://www.townofmaynard-ma.gov/municipal-services/.