How Can I Get Rid Of …

Please refer to the following alphabetical list to learn how you can recycle or dispose of certain items in your home. If your item is not listed, call the DPW office at 978-897-1317.

Certain recyclable item descriptions refer to the Seasonal Drop Off Recycling Center. The center is located at the DPW Garage at the end of Winter Street.  Please visit the center’s page for schedule and fee information.

AIR CONDITIONER: See CFCs section below.

ASBESTOS: You must use a licensed asbestos removal contractor to dispose of asbestos. Check the yellow pages for licensed contractors.

AUTOMOBILES: Automobiles and other vehicles can be donated to an area charity for a tax deduction. Consider visiting the websites for: Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, Give2Kids (American Children’s Cancer Association), or KARS4KIDS

BATTERIES: Alkaline batteries manufactured after 1994 can be thrown out with the regular trash. All alkaline batteries manufactured before 1994, NiCad, button, zinc, and lithium batteries should be disposed of at the Board of Health office or at the Seasonal Drop Off Center. Rechargeable batteries that can no longer be charged can be brought to Staples (Route 2A in Acton) for FREE recycling. Through their relationship with the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation, all batteries collected are recycled responsibly. Auto batteries should be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center ($8.00 fee for each).

BICYCLES: Bikes not Bombs, a non-profit organization located in Jamaica Plain, is working to promote community development and alternative transportation. Donated bikes are shipped to third world countries and used locally to train young people as bicycle mechanics. Kids can also build/recondition a bike through the Earn -A-Bike program. Part of the program involves the kids participating in community service 617-442-0004

BOATS: Boats can be donated for a tax deduction.  Consider visiting KARS4KIDS Boat Donations.

BOOKS: The Friends of the Maynard Public Library are glad to accept your used books, books on CD, DVDs and music on CD. Items which can be used by the library are added to the library collection for the public to check out. Other items will be sold by The Friends of the Library at used book sales. Books need to be in good condition – clean enough that you would buy them yourself. Because the library is unable to use or sell certain items, please click here see a list of what is accepted vs. not accepted, as well as drop off information.

BUILDING MATERIALS: Homeowners and contractors can donate good quality used and surplus building materials to Boston Building Resources. Save on disposal fees and earn tax deductions. Call (617) 442-2262 ext. 232 to schedule a drop off or pickup (fee of $25.00 applies to pickups). Visit the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection for more options and information.

CARDBOARD: Clean cardboard can be disposed of in your curbside recycling. Chipboard (cereal, shoe, cracker boxes, etc., cellophane removed) or corrugated cardboard should be flattened and sized to fit within the recycling bin.

CARPET: May be disposed of curbside if cut into 4-foot lengths, rolled and tied. Affix a $4.00 sticker tag on each 4-foot roll.

CFCS: CFCs are items containing chlorofluorocarbons, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, compressors, and freezers. CFCs can be brought to the Recycling Drop Off Center (fee required).

CHRISTMAS TREES: Please visit the DPW Recycling Drop Off Center page for Christmas Tree recycling information.

CLOTHING: See Household Goods section

COMPRESSOR: See CFCs section above


CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS: This cannot be accepted for curbside disposal. Insulation, brick, drywall/plaster, soil, gravel, asphalt, shingles and other similar materials are considered construction debris. Residents should properly dispose of this waste by ensuring removal through the contractor completing the work. For do-it- yourself construction, contact a local disposal company listing in the yellow pages or local newspaper. If a dumpster is temporarily required, a permit must be obtained through the Board of Health office (there is a permit fee).

CRTS: Cathode Ray Tubes like television, computers, keyboards, printers, a mouse, or computer monitors may be disposed of at our Drop Off Center (recycling fees apply).

DISHWASHER: Can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

DOORS: Wooden doors may be disposed of curbside: affix $14 worth of sticker tags on each. Metal doors should be taken to the Drop Off Center.

ELECTRONICS: See CRTs section above. Maynard Boy Scout Troop 130 has 2 electronics recycling events in March and October each year. Call 978-760-6299 for more information or to schedule a pickup for their next event.

FENCE: A small amount of wood fencing can be broken down, cut into 4ft lengths, bundled, tied and left curbside—affix $14 worth of sticker tags per bundle. If you have more than 4 sections, see Construction Debris section for proper disposal.

FIRE EXTINGUISHERS: Empty Fire Extinguishers can be brought to the Recycling Drop Off Center (disposal fee applies). If a fire extinguisher is full, discharge it properly prior to visiting the Drop Off Center.

FLUORESCENT BULBS: Fluorescent bulbs, including energy-saving compacts, contain a small amount mercury and can be dropped off at Town Hall.  (Large fluorescent tubes may be brought to the Recycling Drop-off Center on the dates it is open.)  If a fluorescent bulb breaks in your home, do not inhale the vapor and do not use a vacuum for cleanup. Gently sweep the pieces together with a brush or broom—NOT your hand—and clean up bits of glass with a wet rag or towel, then place the towel and the pieces into a plastic bag. Fluorescent bulbs emit no mercury unless they are broken.

FURNITURE: Wooden/plastic futons w/cushions, mattresses/box springs, sofas, love seats, recliners, wooden/ plastic tables (up to 4 feet in length) and dressers/cabinets/bookcases (weighing less than 75 lbs) can be disposed of curbside: affix $14 worth of sticker tags on each item (mattress & box spring are $28 for the set.) Mirrors with no frame, wooden kitchen chairs, stools, or armchairs (weighing less than 75 lbs), and plastic/resin lawn chairs can be disposed of curbside—affix $14 worth of sticker tags to each item. ALL METAL FURNITURE should be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center for recycling.

GRILL: Disconnect and remove gas tanks and bring to Seasonal Drop Off Center for recycling (disposal fee).

HOUSEHOLD GOODS: Clothing in good condition can be dropped off in the Saint Vincent De Paul containers at the Saint Bridget’s School parking lot on Sudbury Street. Clothing, linens and other household goods can also be donated to the Big Brother Big Sister Foundation (visit the BBBSF website for a list of acceptable donation items) or to the Morgan Memorial/Goodwill Industries attended donation trailers in Concord (211 Sudbury Road, behind Crosby’s market) and Sudbury (509 Boston Post Road, behind Shaw’s) – both are open seven days a week from 8am to 4:30pm.

HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE:  Occasionally the DPW runs a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day.  Please visit that page for details.

HYPODERMIC NEEDLES (SHARPS): DO NOT place in trash. Residents can safely dispose of sharps in the red SHARPS kiosk located at the kiosk in front of the Police Station (197 Main Street). Package in sharps containers or other rigid, puncture-free containers (such as sealed coffee cans or capped plastic soda bottles) PRIOR TO DROP OFF. See MassDEP Home Medical Waste page for more information.

LAWN MOWER: Drain all gas/oil and bring to Seasonal Drop Off Center (15.00 fee for each)

MATTRESSES and BOX SPRINGS: Both mattresses and box springs, any size, can be put out on your regular trash day. Please affix $14 worth of stickers to each piece (e.g., $28 worth for a single mattress/box spring set).

MERCURY-CONTAINING PRODUCTS: Thermostats, switches, thermometers, blood pressure cuffs and barometers can be brought to the Board of Health office during regular office hours. Fluorescent bulbs: see Fluorescent Bulbs section above.

MICROWAVES: Can be brought to Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

OVEN/RANGE/STOVE: Can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

PAINT: Dried out latex paint can be disposed of in the curbside trash. For small amounts, leave the lid off until dry. For larger amounts, mix with kitty litter, sawdust, or commercial “dry out” powder or pour into shallow cardboard boxes lined with trash bags to dry before disposing in the trash. Oil-base paint cannot be accepted curbside as it is considered a Hazardous Waste item, and should be brought to Household Hazardous Waste Day in June—see Household Hazardous Waste section above.

PAPER: Office/copy paper, newspaper, junk mail (remove cellophane windows), phone books, and magazines can be disposed of in the curbside recycling—place in paper grocery bag or bundle and tie with string and place next to recycling bin. Paper can also be donated (24 hours/7 days a week) to the Maynard Community Chest Paper Recycling Fundraiser in on of the two green and yellow Abitibi Paper Retrievers® located at the Maynard High School parking lot and the Clock Tower Main Street parking lot (across from Quarterdeck Seafood). Visit for more information.

PLASTIC BAGS: Any plastic bags with recycling triangles on them may be taken to local grocery stores for recycling—this includes #4 clear, air-filled bags used as packing material (remove air first please). Look for the marked round recycling bins inside the store.

PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION: Take unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs out of their original containers. To prevent others from using these substances, mix them with coffee grounds or kitty litter and throw them away in a sealed container. Flush prescription drugs down the toilet only if the label or accompanying patient information specifically instructs you to do so.

PROPANE TANKS: Can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center for recycling (disposal fees apply).


RUBBER BANDS: The United States Post Office reuses rubber bands. Leave them out for your mail carrier, take them to the Post Office, or place inside a bag in any blue USPS mailbox.

SINK: Porcelain sinks can be disposed of in the curbside trash. Remove fixtures and affix $14 worth of sticker tags to each. Metal fixtures should be disposed of at the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

SMOKE/CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS: Most detectors contain small amounts of a radioactive material, Americium 241, and are therefore, by law, labeled as having radioactive content. Smoke detectors may be disposed of through curbside recycling (containing a 3-triangle recycling symbol, batteries removed) or by returning them to the manufacturer for disposal as hazardous waste. Send smoke detectors by surface or ground mail so they do not end up on an airplane. First Alert Corporation will take back any smoke detector made in Aurora, IL. Send to: First Alert, Radioactive Waste Disposal, 780 McClure Road, Aurora, IL 60504-2495

SNEAKERS: Nike’s Reuse-A-Shoe program collects old sneakers of any brand. This program grinds up the shoes and uses them in the surfacing of playgrounds and athletic courts in underprivileged communities. See the website for details on where you can drop off or mail your old sneakers.

SNOW BLOWER: Drain all gas/oil and bring to Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

STYROFOAM “PACKING PEANUTS”: Bring them to the UPS Store on Powdermill Road in Acton for re-use

TELEVISION: See CRTs section above

THERMOMETER: See Mercury-Containing Products section above

TIRES/RIMS: Auto tires can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fees vary on tire size)

TOILET: Porcelain toilets can be disposed of curbside: affix $14 worth of sticker tags—for two-piece models, separate tank from bowl.

WASHER/DRYER: Can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

WATER HEATER: Can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

WOOD STOVE: Can be brought to the Seasonal Drop Off Center (disposal fee)

YARD WASTE: Leaves and other easily-raked material placed in biodegradable bags are collected curbside, twice in the fall and once in the spring—collection coincides with residential trash days. See the Seasonal Yard Waste section of our website or our Trash/Recycling Calendar mailing for dates/details.  Composting bins are also available for purchase at the DPW office.