For trash and recycling collection issues please call E.L. Harvey:
Trash Sticker Price Increase
Effective January 1, 2020 the Town of Maynard’s “Pay-As-You-Throw” program implemented changes to the sticker price and usage requirements for Town wide solid waste pickup to the following amounts:
|Trash Item||Current Price|
(Effective January 1, 2020)
|15-gallon bag sticker||$2.00||$1.00|
|32-gallon bag sticker||$4.00||$2.00|
|Bulk items that weigh less than 39 lbs. or up to three feet long||$14.00||$10.00|
Effective January 1, 2020 Town of Maynard residents can purchase:
- Orange stickers worth $4.00 for use on 32-gallon bags. These stickers can also be utilized in any combination for bulk items that equates to $14.00.
- Yellow stickers are worth $2.00 for use on 15-gallon bags. These stickers can be combined for 32-gallon bags ($4) or bulk items ($14).
- The older pink stickers will be utilized as $1.00 until stored stock of stickers is exhausted.
Solid Waste Regulation
Only the sticker price and combination has changed. There are no changes to the contract and regulations for solid waste removal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When were the new trash sticker rates approved?
A: The Board of Selectmen discussed the potential increase at their meetings on August 27th and September 10th. A public hearing to determine new fees for trash stickers was opened on September 17th, 2019. The public hearing was continued to November 5th, 2019, where the board voted to increase the rate.
Q: Why are the trash sticker rates increasing?
A: Currently more than half of the cost of the program is subsidized by general taxes. The new rates are anticipated to reduce the burden on the general taxes from 56% in fiscal year 2019 to a projected 18% in fiscal year 2020. Taxpayer funds will continue to subsidize the program, but the new prices will shift the ratio so that the owner of the trash pays a higher rate for its removal, and the burden on the taxpayer is reduced. Trash sticker prices have not been increased since the program’s inception in the 1990s.
Q: When do the new trash sticker rates apply?
A: The new trash sticker rates will be implemented on January 1, 2020.
Q: Can I still use the yellow and pink stickers?
A: Yes. You are welcome to use any trash stickers that equate to the new rate.
For example, after January 1st, you will need two pink $1.00 stickers for a 15-gallon trash bag.
Q: What stickers will be available for purchase on January 1st?
A: Starting January 1st, retailers will sell $2.00 yellow stickers and $4.00 orange stickers. $1 pink stickers will be available until the supply is depleted.
Regular Trash – Trash is collected every week
In order to be collected, every bag or barrel (up to 32 gallons or 38 lbs.) of trash set out for trash collection must have a sticker(s) on the bag or on the top item in the barrel.
There are two choices in stickers depending on the volume/weight set out:
- Bags or barrels up to 15 gal./38 lbs. require a YELLOW sticker – cost $2.00
- Bags or barrels up to 32 gal./38 lbs. require a ORANGE sticker – cost $4.00 (or 2 YELLOW stickers)
- The older PINK stickers, while they are still available, are worth $1 and can be combined to equivalent YELLOW and ORANGE sticker values.
- Use the right size barrel – Any barrel size over 32 gallons is not permitted.
- Use the right sticker tag.
- Buy sticker tags ahead.
- You’ll need them weekly.
- 2 Yellow = 1 Orange
Stickers can be purchased at: Bud’s Variety, 180 Main Street Corner Store, 49 Walnut St. Seven-Eleven, 5 Waltham St. Russell’s Convenience, 193 Main St. Maynard Town Hall, 195 Main Street Aubuchon, 117 Great Rd., Stow
The street schedule, including holidays and recycling details is available in the Curbside Collection Calendar from the Resources section below.
Barrel Size and Stickering
The Department of Public Works strictly enforces the 32-gallon barrel rule. Every bag or barrel (up to 32 gallons or 38 lbs.) of trash set out for trash collection must have a sticker tag(s) on the bag or on the top item in the barrel in order to be collected.
- 32-gallon barrels of trash must be filled only to the level where a cover if applied would fit. Over filled barrels will be left at curbside. Put sticker tag on top item in barrel. Do not place sticker tag on barrel.
- Any bags over the 32-gallon max will be stickered non-compliant. This means it will not be removed until properly put in an accepted size bag with necessary stickering!!!
- Enforcement of proper bag size and stickering: Maynard DPW encourages residents to inform the department with locations and pictures as it relates to the violation.
Large Items – Objects that weigh less than 39 pounds or up to three feet long will be collected only if $14 worth of sticker tags is attached. Examples are sofas, mattresses, doors, etc. Mattresses and box-springs require $14 of stickers for each piece.
In cold weather sticker tags don’t stick well to cold bags, so, stick the sticker tag to a warm bag, or to itself wrapped around drawstring or bag neck.
Whenever a scheduled collection day falls on a holiday, that day’s collection and all remaining collections for the week will be delayed one day (e.g., Friday’s collections will be on Saturday). Download the Curbside Collection Calendar in the Resources section below for specific holidays and recycling collection.
Recycling – Your recyclables are collected every other week
- All containers should be clean.
- Remove and discard caps and rings from all containers
- Set bins out by 7:00 am, clearly separated from trash.
- Bins containing improper materials will be left behind
Download the Curbside Collection Calendar in the Resources section below for specific holidays and recycling collection.
In the summer of 2017 the Town of Maynard announced automated curbside collection of single stream recycling. Every residence received a 95-gallon cart. Additional carts may be purchased by calling E.L. Harvey. 38-gallon carts are also available for those that need a smaller cart. No separation of material is needed, i.e. glass, paper and plastic. All material must be in the cart to be collected and the cart must be curbside away from trash, mailboxes, etc. Set bins out by 7am clearly separated from trash. Bins containing improper materials will be left behind.
The DPW periodically opens a Recycling Drop Off Center. Check schedule for dates/times and what can be dropped off.
We have two Yard Waste (leaves and clippings) pickups per year.
The spring seasonal curb side waste pickups are scheduled in May. The fall seasonal curb side yard waste pickups will be held in October/November.
2019 – May 6 – May 10, Nov 4 – Nov 8, Nov 18 – Nov 22
Place leaves, grass, wood chips and all other easily raked material in paper yard waste bags at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your normal trash collection day during these weeks. Brush (3 feet x 3 feet or smaller) must be bundled in the appropriate size and no more than 35 pounds.
Brush (3” x 3’ or smaller) is no longer picked up at curbside. It is now chipped at drop-off Center. Brush Chipping dates can be found on the Recycling Center page. Fee is $10.00 per car load. Bring to the DPW Garage on Winter Street.
Fluorescent bulbs (tubes, compact fluorescent bulbs) contain mercury and should be disposed of properly. You can bring your smaller bulbs to Town Hall. Larger tubes should be brought to the Recycling Drop Off Center (check schedule here).
Sharps can be dropped off in puncture-free containers at the kiosk currently located in the front of the Police Station (197 Main Street).
Both permanent and temporary (30 days or less) dumpsters require a permit from the Board of Health. You can apply for the permit online.
Our “How Can I Get Rid Of …?” page has lots of specific examples for reusing items that you may no longer need. The following organizations may also be helpful in reusing various items.
- Salvation Army – Kevin Maguire, email@example.com, 508-799-0528 x 307
- Goodwill – Bill LaBelle, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-541-1415
- Habitat for Humanity Leominster – restorencm.org
- Habitat for Humanity Worcester – www.habitatmwgw.org/restore
- The Wish Project – www.thewishproject.org, 978-441-9474
- Kiducation Community Crusade for Children – Alex Blake, email@example.com, 978-248-9813
- Planet Aid – ACurrin@planetaid.org, 508-893-0644
- Homegoods (in Acton) – firstname.lastname@example.org, 978-635-1710×6
- Savers – 888-322-8209
RecycleSmartMA is an initiative by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. The site features tips and videos on recycling and includes a “recyclopedia” where you can type in an item (e.g., empty motor oil container) and it will tell you the proper way to recycle or dispose of it.
- Download the 2019-2021 Curbside Collection Calendar
- How Can I Get Rid Of …. ???
- Dumpster Permit Application (using our online permitting portal)