The Maynard Human Relations Committee works to promote human rights, personal dignity and positive relations between all residents and visitors to the Town of Maynard.
Letter from Maynard Select Board and the Human Relations Committee on Asian Violence
23-July-2021: As many of you know, there has been a recent and dramatic rise in violence and discrimination against Asian and Asian American people in the United States and around the globe. Reports of horrific violence aimed Asian people in this nation continue to emerge. These actions are always devastating – to individuals, to families and whole communities, across ethnic and “racial” lines. This is particularly sad and disturbing at a time when we are seeking to emerge from a deadly pandemic that has left so many grieving and debilitated and when we should be coming together for mutual aid and healing. The Maynard Human Relations Committee and the Maynard Select Board write to you today to express our deep sadness at this targeted violence and we wish to offer our support and care to the Asian members of our community.
Please read the full letter which details Maynard’s response and a list of resources.
June – Pride Month
Wishing all members of the LGBTQ+ community a celebratory, safe and joyful Pride Month!
LGBTQ’s fight for civil rights, explained (USA TODAY)
Juneteenth and the meaning of Black liberation in Boston (Boston Globe)
Washington Post Video: The history behind Juneteenth and why it resonates today
General Order #3
Issued by General Gordon Granger “19th of June”, 1865 Galveston, TX
“The people are informed that in accordance with a Proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property, between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them, become that between employer and hired labor. The freed are advised to remain at their present homes, and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts; and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.”
- Chris DiSilva, Chair of the Select Board – Liaison
- Mike Noble, Chief, Maynard Police Department – 3 years
- School Department: TBD – 3 years
- Business: Eliot Prisby (Metrowest Kung Fu) – 3 years
- Michael Lisasa – 3 years
- Kathleen K. Fitzgerald – 2 years
- Caroline Mahiti – 2 years
- Shionneka Warren
- Clergy: TBD – 1 year
Contact the Committee
- What culturally and historically significant events would you like to see acknowledged, honored, memorialized and/or celebrated in town?
- What events, holidays, days of remembrance are important to you and your family?
You can send an email to the chair of the Human Relations Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Addressing the Wave of Anti-Asian Hate as a Town Entity (Apr 2021)
- Immigration and Documentation (Jun 2020)
- Land Acknowledgment (Jun 2020)
- Committee Establishment Memorandum (Aug 2019)