Obtaining a Marriage License

All persons wishing to marry in Massachusetts must obtain a marriage license issued from a Massachusetts City or Town Clerk’s Office of their choice. The two parties to the marriage must jointly apply for the license (file intentions) in person at the Clerk’s Office. Marriage licenses are permanently maintained on file at the Clerk’s Office where the marriage intention is filed. Marriage Intentions may be filed at the Maynard Town Clerk’s Office at the following times by appointment only:

  • Monday/Wednesday/Thursday: 8:30am – 3pm
  • Tuesday: 8:30am – 6pm
  • Friday: 8:30am – 11am

Please call 978-897-1300 for an appointment at least one business day in advance.


Applying for a Marriage License

According to Massachusetts law the two parties to the marriage must jointly file intentions to marry, and may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the Commonwealth. If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility, intentions may be filed by either party. A marriage license, once obtained, is valid for 60 days from the date intentions are filed and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town. The marriage license is not valid outside of the Commonwealth.


License availability

While Sundays and holidays are included in the three days, the day the application is made is not. For example, if you apply on Friday, your license will be issued on or after Monday.


Age Guidelines

A Massachusetts resident may marry if 18 years of age or older. A birth certificate may be required to show proof or age. If either party is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court where the minor resides must be obtained before the marriage intentions can be filed.


Medical Certificates

A medical certificate is no longer required to obtain a marriage license in Massachusetts.

Bureau of Communicable Disease Control
Department of Public Health
305 South Street, Boston, MA 02130

DPH/Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases

U.S. Public Health Service toll free hotline: 1-800-342 AIDS (2437)


Previously Married

Neither party is required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. If the party is uncertain as to the absolute date of the divorce, they should contact the court where the divorce was granted. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce nisi has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.

There are no special requirements for a widow or widower who is remarrying.



Massachusetts statute does not require that witnesses be present at your ceremony. However, if a member of the clergy performs the ceremony, you should ensure that you are in conformity with the appropriate religious tenets.



If an out-of-state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage, the clergyperson must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. (You must have the original certificate with you when you file your intentions.) This certificate, which is issued by the Public Records Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth, is to be attached to the original license and returned to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. For further information, contact:

Division of Public Records
Secretary of the Commonwealth
One Ashburton Place, Room 1719
Boston, MA 02108

If a person other than a member of the clergy is designated as “Solemnizer” for the Ceremony the individual must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. (You must have the original certificate with you when you file your intentions.)  Further information can be obtained from:

Secretary of the Commonwealth
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108


Additional assistance

You may contact the Town Clerk’s office at 978-897-1300, or:

Department of Public Health
Registry of Vital Records & Statistics
150 Mt. Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125-3100


Obtaining certified copies of the Marriage License

It has been our experience that many couples wish to have a certified copy of their marriage record to keep with family records and to comply with the constant demands made today for proof of marriage.

If you wish a certified copy of your marriage records, the Town Clerk will be pleased to send you one upon receipt of a check for $10.00 made out to the Town of Maynard. Mail request to:

Town Clerk
Town of Maynard
195 Main Street
Maynard, MA 01754

Please submit payment in the amount of $10.00 per certified copy to ‘Town of Maynard’, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and:

  1. Date of Marriage
  2. Name of Groom
  3. Name of Bride
  4. Address to which copy is to be mailed

Frequently Asked Questions About Marriage Licenses

Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?

Yes, there is a mandatory three-day waiting period.

May we marry before the three days for good reason?

Yes, if you can obtain a court waiver after filing intentions. You should file your intentions first with any city or town clerk. Then, we suggest calling:

Concord District Court, Clerk’s Office (978) 369-0500

What is the cost of a marriage license?

Individual communities set the fee for a marriage license. The fee in Maynard is $40.00 which includes the issuance of one certified copy of the Certificate of Marriage once the marriage has occurred and the certificate has been recorded with the Office of the Town Clerk.

Is a medical certificate required before a license can be issued?

No, medical certificate are no longer required to be married in Massachusetts.

What are the responsibilities of the member of the clergy or justice of the peace?

The member of the clergy or justice of the peace authorized to solemnize marriages in Massachusetts, must complete and sign the original license and return it to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. A marriage is not deemed valid until the license has been returned to the Office of the Town Clerk where the intention was filed and that office has assigned it a register number and files it with the Department of Vital Records and Statistics.