The Union Congregational Church was Maynard’s first parish. The parish was established as the Evangelical Union Society in 1850, when eight locals decided to form a Sunday school. Maynard’s Founding Father, Amory Maynard, became the Sunday school’s first superintendent. Years later, in 1927, the church was officially renamed the Union Congregational Church. The church building itself is older than Maynard’s first town warrant; it was built as a meetinghouse in 1853, while the town of Maynard has only existed since 1871. The church’s beautiful stained glass window, visible from Main Street, was donated by none other than Lorenzo Maynard, son of Amory Maynard, who also donated part of the building in order to house the growing Sunday school.