Welcome to the homepage of Maynard’s Planning Division. We are working hard to keep Maynard a community where you can enjoy the very best of New England town living while still enjoying an easy Metropolitan connection!
Maynard is committed to planning for a future that will keep Maynard a premier community for today, for tomorrow and for a lifetime.
|Address:||195 Main Street|
Maynard, MA 01754
|Hours:||Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8am to 4pm|
Tuesdays: 8am to 7pm
|Town Planner:||Bill Nemser, AICP, LEED AP|
About the Planning Board and Planning Division
The Planning Board both enforces and submits revisions of the Maynard Zoning By-Laws to Town Meeting for approval. The Planning Division of the Office of Municipal Services is here to assist you in viewing records, submitting applications, obtaining information, or scheduling an appointment. All necessary Planning Board forms are available at the office and the Town Clerk (Hearing application forms are in the Forms section below.)
Zoning Board of Appeals
The Planning Division also supports the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA).
Planning Board Meetings and Hearings
The Planning Board meets on a regular basis on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at the Town Hall. We encourage citizens of the town to to attend our meetings and public hearings. The input from citizens is recognized and greatly appreciated.
Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines
Applications for Preliminary Subdivisions and Approval Not Required (ANRs) are due two weeks prior to a regularly scheduled meeting; based on Agenda availability. Please file applications for Special Permits, Site Plan Review, and Definitive Subdivision approvals in the Planning Office according to the following timelines (click to expand):
View the 2020 Planning and ZBA Hearing Schedules and Deadlines
|Zoning Board Date||Planning Board Date||Time||Application Deadlines|
|–||January 14, 2020||7:00 PM||December 17, 2019|
|January 27, 2020||–||7:00 PM||December 23, 2019|
|–||February 11, 2020||7:00 PM||January 7, 2020|
|February 24, 2020||–||7:00 PM||January 20, 2020|
|–||March 10, 2020||7:00 PM||February 4, 2020|
|March 23, 2020||–||7:00 PM||February 24, 2020|
|–||April 14, 2020||7:00 PM||March 10, 2020|
|April 27, 2020||–||7:00 PM||March 23, 2020|
|–||May 12, 2020||7:00 PM||April 7, 2020|
|**May 18, 2020||–||7:00 PM||April 13, 2020|
|–||June 9, 2020||7:00 PM||May 5, 2020|
|June 22, 2020||–||7:00 PM||May 18, 2020|
|–||July 14, 2020||7:00 PM||June 9, 2020|
|July 27, 2020||–||7:00 PM||June 22, 2018|
|–||August 11, 2020||7:00 PM||July 7, 2020|
|August 24, 2020||–||7:00 PM||July 20, 2020|
|–||September 8, 2020||7:00 PM||August 4, 2020|
|September 21, 2020||–||7:00 PM||August 17, 2020|
|–||October 13, 2020||7:00 PM||September 8, 2020|
|October 26, 2020||–||7:00 PM||September 21, 2020|
|–||November 10, 2020||7:00 PM||October 6, 2020|
|November 23, 2020||–||7:00 PM||October 19, 2020|
|–||December 8, 2020||7:00 PM||November 10, 2020|
|December 28, 2020||–||7:00 PM||November 23, 2020|
- A second meeting of the month may be added for continued applications.
- All dates subject to change.
- All meetings at Town Hall unless otherwise noted.
- All items required for a complete application must be submitted by 12:00 PM on the deadline day (10:00 AM on a Friday). No exceptions.
- Listed date represents the soonest an application may be heard by the Planning Board. Please note: submitting by the listed deadline date may not secure a place on the desired agenda. Agenda length or other circumstances may affect placement. All applications are reviewed on a first submittal basis and will be reviewed within the statutory time requirements.
- Any revised plans or additional submittals must be submitted to the OMS Office and peer reviewer 10 days prior to a scheduled meeting.
** These Zoning Board dates have been moved up a week due to holiday schedules.
Planning Board Members
A master plan is a comprehensive long range plan intended to guide growth and development of a community. A key intent of the document is to ensure decision-making considers both the long-term effects of an action and is consistent with an over-all vision created by the community. It provides a foundation that can help protect a community from reactionary actions.
Please visit the Master Plan page for more about this important document and our project to revise in in 2018.
The Maynard Advantage
To learn more about the “Maynard Advantage” contact Town Planner Bill Nemser.
The Maynard Advantage video was produced by WAVM (Maynard High School).
Planning, Zoning, Rock and Rolling Radio Show
Who said planning and zoning has to be bureaucratic, monochromatic, asthmatic, systematic, autocratic or dull? Well it isn’t…at least for one hour!
Join Maynard Town Planner Bill Nemser as he fills you in on all the latest planning related news, discusses place-making trends in the Metrowest Region and presents an assortment of exciting guests all the while weaving it all into an eclectic musical tapestry of hits, misses and classics from all genres! And best of all, the infamous “Think You Know Maynard?” trivia game!
Season SIX can be heard monthly on the 4th Tuesday at 4pm on WAVM 91.7FM or online at http://wavm.org/listen-live/
Missed an episode? Don’t worry… Check out our archive at WAVM.
Forms and Fees
- Preparing a Successful Application for the Planning Board (READ THIS FIRST!)
- Planning Board / ZBA Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines
- Zoning Board of Appeals Hearing Application
- Planning Board Schedule of Fees
- Planning Board Site Plan Application
- Planning Board Special Permit Application
- Planning Board Sign Special Permit Application
- Planning Board Subdivision Planning Forms
- Form A: Application for Endorsement of Plan Believed Not to Require Approval
- Form B: Application for Approval of a Preliminary Plan
- Form C: Application for Approval of Definitive Plan
- Form D: Designer’s Certificate
- Form E: Certified List of Abutters
- Form F: Performance Bond Surety Company
- Form G: Performance Bond Secured by Deposit
- Form H: Performance Bond Secured by Bank Passbook
- Form I: Sample Covenant
- Form J: Release Form
- Form K: Conveyance of Easements and Utilities
- Maynard Business Guide
- Community Development Principles
- Master Plan
- Maynard Downtown Parking Analysis (by MAPC, Jan 2018, pdf, 12MB)
- Town of Maynard Protective Zoning By-Laws (revised May 2019)
- Subdivision of Land – Rules and Regulations (revised 2007)
- Town of Maynard Zoning Map (revised 2018)
- Downtown Overlay Zoning District Map (2007)
- Water Supply Protection District Map (2017)
- Planning Board Rules and Regulations including Site Plan Review Standards (2018)
- Planning Board Landscape Regulations (2015)
- 495/MetroWest Development Compact Plan (2012)
- Guide to Historic Preservation in Maynard (2016)
- Marijuana Commerce Information
- Maynard Property Lookup Service
- American Planning Association
- Massachusetts Chapter of the American Planning Association
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Minuteman Advisory Group on Interlocal Coordination (MAGIC)
- Massachusetts Land Records
- Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development
- National Complete Streets Coalition
- U.S. Green Building Council
These are documents from past Planning Board engagements.
Special Town Meeting - Oct 2011
Documents related to Special Town Meeting held 26-Oct-2011:
- DRAFT Preliminary Traffic Assessment of Clock Tower Place Rezoning
- DRAFT Public School Impact Estimate – Clock Tower Place
- Proposed changes to Article 3 (19-Oct Draft)
- DRAFT Development Agreement with Clock Tower Place (rev 3, 18-Oct)
- Preliminary Traffic Assessment of Clock Tower Place Rezoning (19-Oct)
- Clock Tower Place Agreement – Exhibit B (20-Oct)
- Clock Tower Place Financial Impact Analysis (24-Oct)
- DRAFT Development Agreement with Clock Tower Place (rev 4, 23-Oct)
- Article Changes (23-Oct)
- Clock Tower Table A (9-Sep-2011)
- Zoning Article Draft for Oct 26th Special Town Meeting (9-Sep-2011)
Projects and Programs
- 129 Parker Street Project
- Assabet River Rail Trail
- Business Environment Enhancement Program (BEEP)
- Housing Production Plan
- Marijuana Commerce Information
- Mill & Main Project (former Clock Tower Place, aka The Mill)
- Naylor Court (“Basin”) Technical Assistance Panel
- Veterans Memorial Park Redesign