Florida Road will be closed at the bridge site beginning December 13th for the duration of the construction project (approximately two years). Abutter access will be maintained throughout construction.
The Florida Road Bridge Replacement is a collaboration between the Town of Maynard, MassDOT’s Highway Division and the Federal Highway Administration. The existing bridge, constructed in 1915, has several structural issues including:
- Deficient Concrete Arch
- Barriers on Bridge Unsafe for Vehicular Impact
- Deteriorated Sidewalks with Small Curb Reveals
- Narrow Roadway/Shoulders
- Horizontal and Vertical Curves
- Poor Sight Distance
The new bridge will be a replacement of the entire structure with crash-tested railings and end posts, new sidewalks improved drainage, replacement of sections of water and sewer mains in the bridge area and the relocation of utility poles and overhead wires.
- Florida Road will be closed at the bridge site during construction
- Traffic detour will include Main Street Summer Street and Nason Street
- Bicycle & pedestrian Access will be maintained during construction on the Assabet River Rail Trail and Summer Street.
- Abutter access maintained throughout construction
- The Florida Court municipal parking lot will be unavailable to the public during the construction period.