Maynard voters approved Question 4 on the state election ballot on November 8, 2016, to allow the non-medical use of marijuana by adults.
Massachusetts regulations and standards for marijuana establishments are administered by the Cannabis Control Commission. The local regulatory framework for marijuana permitting was developed in 2017/18 and is administered by the Town. A request to permit a marijuana establishment goes through the Select Board, the Planning Board, the Police Department, the Health Department and Town staff. A “Host Community Agreement” between the business owner and the Select Board is also required.
By vote of the Town Meeting, Marijuana Retailers are allowed by Special Permit* of the Planning Board within the “Central Business” (CB), “Business” (B) and “Health Care Industrial” (HCI) Zoning Districts. A Craft Marijuana Cultivator Cooperative, Marijuana Cultivator, Marijuana Testing Facility, or Marijuana Product Manufacturer use within the “Health Care Industrial” (HCI) and “Industrial” (I) Zoning Districts.
Marijuana use in public is prohibited and limited to private property. Maynard has no establishments that are authorized to allow on-premises use of marijuana.
* A Special Permit allows a specific use at a specific location. In order to be granted, a Special Permit must go through the public hearing process. A public hearing means that abutters are notified, public input will be heard and a location specific review by the Planning Board will be conducted before the Special Permit is issued. Limitations, conditions or other site-specific regulations may be imposed on any Special Permit issued.
Application Process for Marijuana Establishments
- Applicant meets with Town Administration
- Applicant completes the Marijuana Host Community Agreement Application
- Applicant presents their materials at an Economic Development Committee (EDC) meeting. The EDC does not have authority in the approval or disapproval of the proposal. The EDC will evaluate the presentation and materials to determine if they are complete and offer insight into the communities’ economic goals.
- Applicant presents their materials at a Select Board (BOS) meeting in a ten-minute presentation
- At a second Select Board meeting, the board decides if they would like to begin negotiating a Host Community Agreement (HCA) with the applicant or not
- The HCA is approved by BOS after negotiations
- The applicant is required to host a community outreach meeting – this must happen within six months of filing its application with the Cannabis Control Commission (CCC)
- The applicant applies for a Provisional License from the CCC
- While they wait for the Provisional License, the applicant can begin obtaining local permits/licenses including Planning Board, Board of Health, Maynard Police Department approval of security plan
- The CCC will reach out to the Town of Maynard to confirm compliance with local ordinances or bylaws – the town has 60 days to respond
- CCC will grant the Provisional License
- The applicant will apply for the BOS license
- The BOS will hold a public hearing to consider the license application
- After all local permits have been granted – the applicant can apply to the CCC for the final license
- A final license may be issued by the CCC
Please contact Assistant Town Administrator Megan Zammuto with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-897-1323.
Host Community Agreements
- Sugarloaf Maynard, LLC (26-Jan-2021)
- Massachusetts Solventless Extractions, LLC (18-Aug-2020)
- Mass Wellspring, LLC (20-Nov-2018)
- GreenStar Herbals, Inc. (18-Dec-2018)
- NewCann Group, LLC (1-Oct-2019)
Project Applications / Supporting Documents
- NewCann Group Supporting Documents (2-Jul-2019 – Select Board Meeting)
- GreenStar Herbals, Inc. at 24 Main Street (1-Apr-2019, 117 pages, 11MB)
- GreenStar Herbals, Inc Traffic Impact Analysis (15-Mar-2019, 259 pages, 15MB)
- Plan Set
- Site Plan Lighting and Photometric Lighting Plans
- Auto Turn Plan
- Stormwater Analysis Report
- Review Response Letter
- Peer Review Letter #2
- Planning Board Special Permit Decision (26-Jun-2019)
- HCA Certification (26-Jan-2021)
- HCA Exhibit A (Floor Plan) (21-Jan-2021)
- Cannabis Control Commission Outreach Approval Letter (SB) (26-Jan-2020)
- Cannabis Control Commission Admin Order 3: Community Outreach (27-Apr-2020)
- Planning Board Special Permit Decision (21-May-2019)
- Marijuana Retailers Rules and Regulations (updated 27-Aug-2019)
- Marijuana Cultivators, Manufacturers, and Testing Facilities Rules and Regulations (updated 27-Aug-2019)
- Cannabis Control License Application (10-Sep-2019)
- Application Process for Marijuana Establishments in Maynard
- Local Acceptance of Tax-Provision (Town Meeting article, 26-Mar-2018)
- SB as License Authority (Chapter 94G Section 3 (Town Meeting article, 26-Mar-2018)
- Zoning Bylaw Marijuana Retailers (Town Meeting article, 26-Mar-2018)